Monday, August 9, 2010

Jasper & Janina..............

I have finally finished the July needlecase.  It was always going to cause me concern, these J months have been rather difficult for me to decide on a theme.  I purchased a fat quarter of fabric earlier in the year with the needlecases in mind, and when it came to finally using this particular lining, I decided grey might be the go.  To brighten up my journey, I kept making up little stories as I planned/stitched.  Perhaps this one could quite easily be the start of a childrens' book in years to come, as I've given it the title 'Jasper and Janina meet Jasmine in July'............  I know, it's weird!!!  Why??  Well, I love the semi-precious stone Jasper, and one of it's forms is Mexican Zebra Jasper which conveniently shows black/white/greying.  I've been trying to use a stitch or technique that starts with the same letter as the month in which I'm working, so the story was born.  I've used Janina Stitch, which is just another name for Roumanian Stitch [it is.........it says so in Mary Thomas' Stitch Dictionary!!!].  Janina is more of a 'band' stitch and doesn't really lend itself to shapes well.  Okay, enough already................. 

The Jasmine flower [it's my flower so I can call it a Jasmine......LOL] has been done by fusing two layers of grey crystal organza together prior to satin stitching around the petals.  I then padded the centre with felt circles, over which the Janina stitch was worked, and finally the Jasper bead was attached.   The 'stamens' have also been worked in Janina stitch, and what piece would be complete without some beadwork.....




I very much wanted to use grey felt for the 'pages', but alas my grey felt parcel just hasn't arrived, and I really needed to have this finished.  The black piping on the outside has possibly given me permission to use black felt for the needle pages.  Using these bland colours and one stitch in particular was a trial, but I think it has added something to the mix of needlecases I've been working on.  I must now move on to the August one, and possibly a little more colour.  

10 comments:

Radka said...

This is very, very pretty, Linda, I love the flower! You have such lovely ideas!

Karyn said...

I love it, it is so pretty. the lining is gorgeous, and the black felt seems to suit it just right. Probably better than the grey would have. I will have to go and look up Janina stitch now.

Robin Mac said...

That is really lovely Linda, with such detailed work. I agree with Karyn, the black felt seems just right so perhaps it is good that your grey felt did not arrive. I am doing some serious catching up on blogs, have hardly read any for over a week I think. You have been very active with your qquilting too, I am sure you will find a way of making the pink sink into the quilt a bit more. Cheers, Robin

DIAN said...

Oh Linda this is another wonderful effort. I love the black felt inside and the lining is superb. Love the Jasmine!!!!!

JulietteCherry said...

As always, this needlecase is just beautiful. I never cease to be amazed at your creativity. Wish I could be so inventive.

Frances Leate said...

What a beautiful needlecase and I absolutely love the way your colour selection works.

shirley said...

for all your worrying this has turned into a lovely needlecase. i like the black pages.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda. Your latest needlecase is lovely & the colours seem to give it a nice tailored look. I have to agree that the black felt is a good choice and perfect with that terrific lining fabric. Your flower is wonderful and along with the embroidery you have created a lovely piece.

Your reasoning for naming the case "Jasper & Janina" gave me a good chuckle. You're not just creative with fabrics but words also!

All the best with your August needlecase. Can't wait to see it.

Cheers,
LindaA

Anney said...

hhi Linda,here I am at last having a good look at your blog....what stunning work as usual and what a great place to show us all,thank you so for sharing and bringing more of us together.
Anney

Anonymous said...

What a stunning needlecase. I love it!