Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Embroidered Boxes


I will take the time today to share two little embroidered boxes I have done.  The little box [etui] in the above photograph was stitched some time ago.  I had to cut the cardboard pieces myself, I did not have an etui kit.  The instructions and pattern are included in a book I purchased, Hardanger - Fundamentals made Fancy, by Janice Love.  I have used 22ct hardanger fabric, with #5 and #8 perlé thread, rather than the stated 30ct linen, which made her box measurements pie in the sky for my piece!!!

The design on the top of the box is so pretty.  Indeed, many of the fillings I had not seen or tried before, and I had not given any thought to the use of pearls or beads with this type of work.






I hope some of these shots will give you a good look at the lovely way Janice has used these unusual fillings.  Each of the bands were to have a different filling, but as usual, I picked the ones I like the best and went with them.






I particularly like the flower design that has been given the name of Edelweiss.  It is just beautiful when it's done, and with concentration, not all that difficult to achieve a pleasing result.









I hope this shot shows you the box with the panels open.  I thoroughly enjoyed the stitching process with this project, but I have to say, I am not, and never will be a fan of glue, card, or paper, so I doubt I will make another of these little sewing accessories.














I would also like to share this wooden box with it's blackwork knot garden lid.  This blackwork pattern was designed by Mary Hickmont, and again, I did my own thing, using a variegated thread for working.  The whole piece has been done on 18ct aida, using 1 strand of DMC cotton.  The gold stitching is also one strand.  For some reason I found it hard to get a good photograph of this - still learning with my new camera.




This is the box opened.  I purchased it from Janie Hubble of The Cat's Whiskers in WA.  It is a beautiful box, quite large really, with the top recessed area just perfect for the stitching I'd done.  It is lined with black felt, and the bottom also has black felt attached to avoid scratch marks on one's furniture.    I feel quite privileged to own such a lovely piece.












My friend Dian has some lovely examples of stitched knot gardens on her blog.  You can see them here:  http://dians-beachtextiles.blogspot.com/2011/02/stitched-gardens.html



14 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your boxes are beautiful - real keepsakes! Hardanger is my favorite kind of embroidery.

Jenny said...

These are gorgeous!

Thendral said...

Lovely with pleasant colours

Anonymous said...

They are both gorgeous but I especially like the euti. Your hardanger is just stunning and I hope that with time I might also be half as good as you are.

Iceni UK said...

Linda, your work is fantastic. I love the colours you have used for your Etui.

The Blackwork knot garden embroidery looks so elegant.

Frances Leate said...

These boxes are really special and I am sure they are treasured by you. You certainly have a skill with both the stitching and the finish which is truly professional. Take care

Radka said...

Oh, my weakness for hardanger! Your etui box is so beautiful. I have seen it before, so I am glad that you told us about it in more detail.
I have never made an embroidered box, it is on my list of "things to make":))

Unknown said...

Adorables. Tu trabajo es impresionante, se ve que te gusta lo dificil. Me encantaron los dos, pero la complejidad del costurero lo hace una pieza única. Felicidades

Linda, donde puedo conseguir el libro o los patrones del ETUI

Unknown said...

Perdon Linda, ya tengo el libro, solo que en rojo se ve muy diferente. prefiero el tuyo color rosa es más romántico y por supuesto más bello. Gracias

Kerrie said...

Absolutely beautiful Linda - thanks for sharing your work with us - you really do inspire me.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Linda, You are a master at stitching. Your Hardanger work is truly beautiful and both the finished boxes are gorgeous. Great work. Hugs Judy

Juliettecherry said...

Oh these boxes are so gorgeous Linda, I love the hardanger one especially. I am always meaning to do more of it.

Dianne said...

Hi Linda, Your little etui box is just incredible. I have always wanted to make one, but have never got around to it. The hardanger you have done is, well, out of this world. The other box is very beautiful too. Di.

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous! I especially like the hardanger one. Like you, I'm not a fan of glue and so I sew my etui boxes together. A circular needle helps enormously and once finished you can't tell the difference.