Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Penny has dropped!


Last year I worked on an online computer program, but unfortunately, didn't spend enough time with it, and declared myself a failure.  With the help and encouragement of a fellow blogger and friend, Shirley I managed to find my feet a little with the GIMP program, as well as a more in depth look at my ADOBE PSE program.  I was reasonably happy with actual photo alteration, but just didn't seem to grasp brushes, tools, gradients, etc.  The first image above was some mishmash I 'created' in GIMP, saved and then reworked using a trial download from this site:  http://www.whizical.com/  I did purchase the kaleidoscope program, but this one is slightly different, ie it 'melts' sections of your image.  It's great fun, not everything it does is to my liking, but I think it's worth the small charge to 'own' it.  The second image is as it came from GIMP, and I'm sorry but I didn't catalogue my choices.

Continuing on the purple theme, I'll share this image, which is one of the first I did after the penny had dropped!!   I have used only very basic gradients, brushes and filters with this.


I then moved it to another program and added some depth to it, which I think improves it a tad.



And for those who like kaleidoscopes, I thought this one worthy of inclusion - quite dramatic when looked at in a different way!!






I suppose I'd better include something that isn't purple.  After all, I can't say it's my favourite colour, but sometimes I seem to go it more often than others!!  This one is a little more sedate, and still uses just basic brushes, etc.






I took the image to the liquidizing program, where you have the option to use a little 'comb'.  It made a lovely piece of marbling, another technique I've tried, albeit in a small way.








Thank you for looking. I hope these computer generated images stir creative juices in some.  I am still learning, and indeed feel I have a long way to go, but this is really interesting, so I wanted to share a few of my efforts.  I am fascinated by technology, and feel excited at the prospect of what more is in store for us, be it good, bad or otherwise......... 

6 comments:

Juliettecherry said...

Wow! you had great fun with all this. Is it going to be transformed into stitchery at some time?

fabriquefantastique said...

I'm impressed .....

Radka said...

It looks very...creative? Impressive. A little above my head, and however interesting I find it, better not get involved, or it will be something else I haven't got time for, LOL!
Well done for persevering!

shirley said...

Yes Linda, I am very impressed as well. Good on you these are great images. I can see your wonderful stitching and creativity in them all. Well done and thank you for sharing these images with us.

Karyn said...

What great pictures Linda. I can see quilts in most of them (not done by me; preferably done by you and given to me????)
Looks like you have had fun anyway.

Anonymous said...

I love how you have learnt to manipulate your photos and I enjoy seeing them too. Even with my scrapbooking I have never learnt to use photoshop and the like. Maybe I should one day