Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Prized Possession


I have been meaning to share this little outfit with readers, as I thought you might like to see something that was made for me by my grand mother [maternal].  She had twelve children, and to be honest I forget how many grandchildren, in the vicinity of sixty!!  She didn't do a lot of varied crafts, but one thing she excelled at was crochet.  I think my mother told me that she made a little three piece outfit for each and every one of her grandchildren - to be worn at their christening.  This one in the above photograph is mine, made almost 59 years ago.

She didn't 'read' crochet patterns as such, often making up her designs as she went along.  This little matinee jacket is more like a batwing edge to edge coat, fastening with a ribbon tie at the neck.  I've tried to fan it out and place the little cap sleeves so you can get an idea of the design.

The crochet in itself is very simple, and seems to be done in a type of shiny rayon thread.  I remember the term Fibrone Silk being used when I was younger.  Just recently I noticed you can still buy something like this, and the description on the packaging says 3 ply rayon.  The little embroidered 'grub roses' were done by my mother I believe, Granny didn't embroider.  

The little booties are so tiny.   Bonnet and bootee design have a little more shell-like pattern.  I am the second in a family of four, and each of us have 'our set'.  All of our own children have worn the garments on the occasion of their christening.

My mother used to make lots of these outfits too for friends or family, often starting with a length of chain and working away down the the garment from the neck.  She could work that bullion/grub/roll stitch, something I've not tried in earnest, but I really must keep at it until I have it mastered.

I hope this little bit of vintage crochet is of interest to some readers.  Thank you all for popping in to prop me up after my knitting disaster.

14 comments:

shirley said...

Linda thank you for sharing this story with us. The photos of your wonderful treasures are great. Your grandmother must have been kept very busy with her family and all she did for them.

fabriquefantastique said...

I've never heard of 'grub roll' stitch...though the name says it all. I love garments from the neck down, knit them all the time.

Jenny said...

What beautiful work, and the little grub roses just make it. It is easy to see where you talent for textile crafts came from.

DIAN said...

Linda, I had to smile when you referred to your own Christening outfit as "vintage": I know that is a correct description, it just sounds funny.

I recall little jackets with the bat wing sleeves and the ribbon to the neck.

Iceni UK said...

Linda, you have brought back lots of memories, I remember making little bat wing cardigans back in the 1960's/70's. :)My goodness, that's an age ago, how time flies.
Your garments are lovely and precious treasures. Thank you for telling us the story behind them, I love reading your blog, it's like a page from a diary, always so interesting.
Hugs for you.

Dianne said...

Oh, now I see where you get your talent from! What a wonderful woman to have made an outfit for each grandchild. Thank you for sharing this. Crochet is popular again and it is such a lovely pastime too. Di.

Juliettecherry said...

How lovely to see your treasured crochet items. Also to know you used them again for the christenings of your own children. Wouldn't we all like to think that the things we make will be treasured too and maybe used for future generations.

Karyn said...

What wonderful work and what a lovely thing to have handed down through the generations. Your grandmother must have been very quick to be able to get through so many. What a great lady.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Linda,Thanks for sharing the very lovely vintage christening crochet outfit your maternal grandmother made you. What a beautiful treasure from her. Hugs Judy

michelle said...

Hi Linda what a lovely story to share, i can't imagine having that many children keeping house and still find the time to make such beautiful outfits. It's wonderful to know you still have yours what a fabulous memento of a very amazing lady.

Jensters said...

Hello sweet friend....your grandmother was amazing to create this with out any pattern and something to treasure...must send you an email x

Anney said...

How lovely of you to show us this prized piece of work..any photos of you wearing it maybe?xx

Kerrie said...

What a beautiful story to share - what a treasured keepsake.

megan said...

Hi Linda, I stumbled on your blog post via google images when I was looking for a pattern for a vintage baby crocheted matinee jacket I found on ebay that I would love to make. This looks exactly the same. It is absolutely beautiful!

You wouldn't happen to have her old patterns and know the name of the pattern? I would love to find one.