Friday, October 28, 2011

I Love Bags!!!





Although I don't make lots and lots, I still really like handmade bags in all shapes and sizes.  Recently I stumbled across an interesting sewing blog/website, with downloadable patterns for sale.  Of course, most of them appealed to me, so I jumped in for the kill............  You can see the bags here - http://www.keykaloupatterns.com/  The bag pictured above is the first one I've made using Michelle's lovely pattern.  I have another which I will try soon.  Whilst I did not follow the pattern to the letter [a slight change in the base boxing], I found everything in the requirements and directions to be faultless.  Please make time to visit Michelle's blog too, and see some lovely sewing.

I've put a small collage together showing a few elements of this bag.  There are some small pockets inside [always handy], and I really like the added stitched detail on the bottom.  The inside lining has a firm pelmet vilene rectangle stitched into it, giving a more rigid base.  I hope you can see the fabric pattern.  I purchased this fabric quite some time ago, to make a bag, and still have quite a bit left.  I managed to find something in my stash for a lining, and what I consider to be a suitable button trim [a natural timber button from Tasmania].  I am using this as a swap gift for my group's break-up in a few weeks.

Whilst on the subject of bags, I thought this one might be of interest to readers too.  I made this about three years ago.  I originally purchased the handles, and then decided I needed a bag to go with them......  I have included this link - http://www.mareepigdon.com/sewing-patterns.html  as both were purchased from this lady.  I fear the pattern has probably been discontinued.  It is quite large, has a number of inside pockets, plus a piece of MDF in the base, as well as little feet.  I find this an excellent bag for taking projects to my sewing days.  It was 'built' around the handles actually [colourwise], with fabrics I had on hand at the time - leftovers.

I hope this little bit of sewing is of interest.  I will try to make up the other bag pattern I purchased from Michelle - http://www.keykaloupatterns.com/product/inset-zip-clutch-pouch-pdf-sewing-pattern and hopefully this will go together as well as the first one.

Things have been a little crazy here this week, storms around the district, some of them quite nasty - another reminder that Mother Nature will do as she pleases!! 

14 comments:

Jenny said...

Hand made bags, a girl can never have too many of those. I must admit to really liking the pink floral one with the handles.

DIAN said...

Hi Linda, I really like the colour of this bag. Great use of the fabric - are you making any impression on the stash?

It is good to see you blogging again.

We have had a couple of warm days and now it is raining again.

Stitching Lady said...

Hello Linda,
Such nice bags. Yours is beautiful, the brown colour! I am also a bag-fan. I could make up a store with them. Only each has been used alreday. They are hanging behind the door in my studio, keeping the door from opening really wide. The links are interesting.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Linda, I love both your bags. I especially love the pink one and the handles are just to neat. Of course one needs lots of bags for everything. I have several myself. LOL

Have a great weekend. Hugs Judy

Frances Leate said...

Great bags Linda and I am most definitely a "bag lady" myself though I only ever make ones that are simple to construct. When I attend craft fairs I usually come home with bag that I have purchased. Our weather has settled down and I hope yours has too. Take care.

Karyn said...

I love the way your brown bag has turned out. Wait until you see the colours I picked for mine ( very bright!!). So glad you steered me to the site, I am going to have lots of fun I think - not that I need any more bags!!!!!!

Jen said...

HI! Linda, Lovely bags, I do like the little clutch and the fan fabric.I often buy bag patterns but would only average making 2 a year.
I think I will come to your break up party for the desserts.We have our break up party soon in a few weeks and do the same.I still have to make my secret santa gift.

WandarArt.Stitch said...

Hi Linda,
Handbags are beautiful, I like all, you have great artistic talent, literally everything, great creativity, and of course your hard work.
Personally I like bigger bags, because I have a few things that almost every woman are needed, and manuals of.
Unique to the handles have a large bag, I also hate handbags, like you,
I greet,:)))

shirley said...

Love the bags Linda, particularly the feather fabric...I am also a "bag lady" ...if I could I would turn everything into bags. Your sewing and finish is immaculate as usual.

Linda’s Textiles said...

Fabulous bag! clever way of doing the fastener & love the fabric.

Keyka Lou said...

Great bags, Linda! Your clutch turned out really nice. The fabric is very pretty and the wooden button is perfect with these colors.

Radka said...

Oh, there is just never enough bags! Yours look really lovely, my favourite is the "pink" one, all my colours :)

N. Maria said...

Shirley and I are "bag ladies"! Love, love, love your bags! I like to make a bag out of anything I can find.....:)

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous bags. My mum has made loads of bags so I haven't really made any yet. - Katherine