Thursday, November 3, 2011

Autumn Fantasy


I know it's not autumn here in Australia, but the colours of a tradtional autumn are some of my favourites.  Not very long ago I purchased and downloaded online lessons to do with creating texture on textiles.  You can see the lessons here  I have not actually worked through any of the lessons in their entirety just yet, but this little art journal cover is a start.  The above photograph has been taken outside in the shade, but is not actually showing the colours as they are [more 'red' than pink].

I've called this Autumn Fantasy simply because I don't 'draw', and much of the time squiqqly lines and leaf/petal shapes are my limit, so all I can do is fantasize that I may one day magically be able to 'draw'.  Perhaps this photograph will show the little lumps and bumps that are on the surface of the fabric.  There are so many layers on this, gesso, texture paste, paint in various colours, little snippets of linen, machine stitching, glitter, and yarn [it was originally a piece of loosely woven calico].

The back view is showing the leaves/petals being blown along by autumn winds, scattered on the ground, piling up along paths, etc.  Stitching this very stiff, rubbery 'fabric' was rather a nightmare, made worse by the choice of metallic thread.  You don't want to know how many four letter words were used during the process!!

Some of the colour inspiration came from this piece of fabric that I received as a little gift from a friend some time ago.  I'd often admired it in some pieces she'd made, and she was kind enough to send some to me.  And, no, I have not used it as an inside lining for this - that is just black wool felt.



I am looking forward to working through my PDF lessons in due course, as soon as I purchase a few more provisions.  I have uploaded the last photograph which was taken out in full sun [please excuse shadow in bottom right corner!!].  It does show the colours a little differently, much brighter, and closer to how it is in real life.  Digital cameras don't photograph metallic all that well.  In case you are interested in the size, this little art journal is A5 with lots of good quality water colour paper.  I hope to make the effort to record some of my thought processes from hereon in.

Thank you all so much for actively taking an interest in my attempts to amuse myself..........LOL......







16 comments:

WandarArt.Stitch said...

Linda, you're a great artist, work beautifully with fabrics and not just decoration, construction, your imagination is the Perfect,
I wish you beautiful things art performance. not only a card, ATC, according to this technique, but other of your inspiration, and the same successes)))

Stitching Lady said...

Oh - this is a beautiful journal, Linda!!!!!
I imagine this good quality water colour paper in it and I am totally delighted. It is a piece of art what you created - you make everything perfect. I am going to klick on the link for the lessons. I am so much interested in this technique.

Anonymous said...

This is a gorgeous journal cover. I love seeing your mixed media pieces - Katherine

Jensters said...

So amazing my wonderful friend.....i must ask what you do with all your wonderful journals that you make? Loving your beautiful colours even if they are not correct xx

Iceni UK said...

Linda, your artistic freedom in stitch is like no other, it's unique and beautiful.
Your journal reflects the Autumn here in the UK. Leaves have fallen from the trees leaving a blanket of rich colours to kick up when walking through the woods. Winter is just around the corner... :)

DIAN said...

Linda, this is fantastic. With creations like this one you don't need to fret about your ability to draw. Your interpretation of Autumn shows great depth and understanding of the season.

Vicki W said...

Your journal is beautiful!

Radka said...

What can I say, Linda? I just love it ! There is s much to see in a such small area. You have done well, yet again :)

Robin Mac said...

You have been so much more creative than I was when I was originally doing these workshops - I must fish out my book and start again! Just have to find the time! Lynda's new book should be out soon so that will be another temptation! Cheers.

Soonymary said...

this is just so gorgeous!

Karyn said...

Wow Linda, I am always amazed at what you can do. Your imagination is something I do not have I think! This looks great, and yes, very Autumnal!!
Good luck with the journaling; I keep making promises and then never fulfill them.

Sandy said...

I love it. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Mrs Dibble said...

Gorgeous!!!

Teresa said...

Hi Linda,
I love this ....you've inspired me to get a move on with ALL the stuff in my stash also bought from Dale........thanks for sharing it.....will follow you on SF of which I'm also a member.....cheers

Anney said...

Hello dear friend,lovely to read what you're up to..you are so inspiring...as I always say...wish I lived across the fields instead of across the sea!!

michelle said...

wow linda this is just fabulous and the colours are so wonderful ! I have considered doing this online class myself is it worth taking ??